When spring comes, our food habits change. However, there is one habit that needs to stay constant. And that is having breakfast. Welcome to Indy, Spring!
Welcome to Indy, Spring!
Breakfast is the most important part of the day as it helps you stay productive, energetic and … happy! So, try not to skip breakfast or at least brunch.
And there are plenty of spots offering a variety of meals. Choose between granola, berry smoothies, waffles, French toast made with cardamom banana bread, red velvet pancakes or poached eggs. All of these will help you avoid kitchen stress and spend some extra time in the sunshine. Plus, it will save you plenty of time!
If you love to cook and do not mind spending time in the kitchen, consider making beef’n’bean casserole with cornbread topping, zucchini pasta with pesto sauce, one-sheet pan salmon with asparagus, spring vegetable egg casseroles, or granola or poached eggs with spinach. If you have a sweet tooth, go for fresh berries and fruits instead of heavy cakes and desserts. Welcome back, spring!
Find other healthy spring recipes at HelenaRecipes.com.
Poached Eggs with Spinach
- 2 eggs
- 2 pieces of toast
- 1.8 oz butter
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 0.5 liq gal hot water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package Knorr Hollandaise Sauce Mix
- Make the toast.
- Cook the sauce. Blend the hollandaise sauce mix with milk in 1-quart saucepan. Add the butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Prepare the eggs. Boil water. Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to the hot water. Break the eggs into the casserole with the hot water. Then gently lift the white over the yolk with a plastic skimmer for 2 seconds and proceed with other eggs in the same manner.
- After 3 minutes remove the first egg with a slotted spoon. Check the egg with your finger – the white needs to be set and the yolk should be very soft. Proceed with other egg in the same manner.
- Cook the spinach.
- Place the spinach in a casserole with the boiling water for 2 minutes. Then place spinach in the cold water.
- Serve the eggs on toast, with spinach. And pour the sauce over the eggs.
Morning with Granola
- 1½ cup oats
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- ½ handful raspberries
- ½ handful hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a large cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together oats and cinnamon. Set aside.
- On the stovetop, melt the peanut butter and honey/maple syrup together until smooth.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Spread the mixture on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until granola is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let sit until cooled.
- Once cooled, break apart, serve with yogurt, nuts and berries!