By Kim Galeaz, registered dietitian nutritionist, recent guest on BOOMER TV
Sunny Six Can Salsa is great for parties, picnics, pitch-ins and holidays because it makes a big batch. But it also happens to be rich in all the right nutrients to keep everyone healthy, especially Boomers who want to stay strong and age vibrantly.
TOP TEN BOOMER BENEFITS
- More fruits and vegetables. You’re already trying to eat more fruits and vegetables, but fresh isn’t your only nutrient-rich choice. Canned fruits and vegetables count and are just as nutrient-rich as fresh. Why? Because of the 3 P’s: picked and packed at their peak. In fact, they’re packed within hours. Which means all those phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals are retained. And some canned varieties contain even MORE beneficial nutrients than their fresh counterpart.
- Vitamin C. Canned peaches contain almost four times more vitamin C than fresh peaches. So along with the other vitamin-C rich ingredients (tomatoes, pineapple, pears, jalapeno peppers, lime), this salsa is a vitamin C powerhouse. Boomers need vitamin C for optimal immune system functioning and wound healing.
- Lycopene. Attention Boomer men! Cooked tomato products, (like canned diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and salsa) contain far more prostate-cancer fighting lycopene than fresh tomatoes. Once again, that canning process makes more of it available to us.
- Soluble fiber. The black beans and pears are rich in soluble fiber which helps lower LDL cholesterol to keep your heart healthier.
- Fiber. Every ingredient except the oil, salt, cumin and lime contributes dietary fiber, like the insoluble type. This Sunny Six Can Salsa is an excellent source of dietary fiber and helps keep our digestive systems healthy and contributes to regularity. Healthy boomers eat plenty of fiber!
- Eye Health. Canned corn is a valuable Boomer food for eyesight. Two main phytonutrients in corn, lutein and zeaxanthin, help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration. So eat your corn, whether it’s canned, frozen or fresh – including plenty of Indiana Sweet Corn!
- Blood pressure. The magnesium and potassium in nearly every fruit and vegetable – including all those in this Sunny Six Can Salsa – helps promote healthy blood pressure levels. And healthy blood pressure helps overall heart health.
- Healthy Heart. Along with that magnesium and potassium, the vitamin C and A from all the fruits and vegetables, including the phytonutrients in red onion, green onion and garlic, contribute to optimal heart health and disease prevention.
- Vitamin K. For healthy blood clotting and bone-building health, vitamin K comes from the cilantro, so if you like it, add more! But we all know it’s very divisive. However, be like Paul Poteet on Indy Boomer TV and be adventurous! Paul said he liked it – even the cilantro and diced tomatoes (two of his least favorite ingredients.) Way to go Paul! Oh by the way, you can watch Indy Boomer on WFYI every Tuesday night at 7:30 pm.
- Time-saver. Boomers have very full and busy schedules. And while many of us love to cook and create in the kitchen, we still want convenience blended with good nutrition. That’s why my Sunny Six Can Salsa is so perfect – it’s best of both worlds with canned ingredients saving you time but still giving you necessary nutrition.
Cheers to a happy, healthy summer Indy Boomers!
Find the recipe on Kim’s website.